The history of Aliança Navegação e Logística is intertwined with the history of Brazilian commercial shipping. Carl Fischer, a German, founded Aliança in 1950. The company began its operations with just one ship, which transported fruit between Brazil and Argentina.
When Carl Fischer created Aliança, it was the only private coastal shipping (cabotage) company. The company gained strength through the philosophy of ploughing profits back into the business and constantly modernizing. By 1959, the company had captured 50% of the market transporting refrigerated meat between Brazil and Argentina under the Brazilian flag, thus establishing its presence in Mercosul.
Between 1965 and 1991, the company commissioned 30 new ships. In 1967, Aliança began operating internationally, shipping to European ports on the Atlantic. From 1991, the service expanded to include the American market.
In 1998, Alliance was acquired by the Oetker Group, owner of the Hamburg Süd Shipping line and expanded its activities, including new itineraries connecting the Gulf of Mexico, Europe, Central America, the Caribbean, Asia and Brazil. In 1999, the company was a pioneer in winning back the transport of containerized cargo between Brazilian ports.
Today, in addition to cabotage, Aliança Navegação e Logística has a strong presence in the foreign market, with 25 container ships on international routes, spread over 9 services. In addition, it provides bulk transport (fertiliser, grains and minerals), where it uses 8 ships with a capacity ranging from 38,000 metric tons to 45,000 metric tons.